History of Our Lady of the Snows High School,Rizal St.Himamaylan City,Negros Occidental,Philippines
LSHS, an institution of learning, STANDING TALL on her 53 years of Solid and Emerging Catholic Education, and deep commitment for Excellence, Global Peace and Competence.
The Columban Fathers came to Negros Island sometime in 1950, to answer the problem of the Diocese; the shortage of priests. Incidentally they also filled the need for Catholic Education thru Parochial Schools in different towns.
In 1953, Our Lady of the Snows High School was opened thru her founder, Rev. Fr. John Doohan with 60 initial First and Second year high school students. There was no school building, hence the nipa hut used by the Men’s Catholic Action group was utilized as the temporary classrooms.
LSHS INDEED BEGAN SMALL.
The first building occupied by Our Lady of the Snows High school in 1953- a humble beginning.
By the school year 1955-1956, LSHS was now offering the full secondary education program. By March 1956, the first graduation rites were held and enjoyed by the pioneer graduates.
The next building built sometime in 1954.
A typical early school life in LSHS was that of a daily morning offering in the church and ended with an afternoon rosary. Proper use of veils for girls and rosary beads for all were inspected.
The pioneer administrative staff were headed by the following:
*Rev Fr. John Doohan - Founder/Director
*Rev Timothy Donnely – Dean of Discipline
*Mr Aurelio Infante – Principal
In 1960, the Presentation Sisters from Kilkenny, Ireland, were invited and arrived in Himamaylan to run the school.
Arrival of the Presentation Sisters at the Manila International Airport. They were fetched by Rev. Fr. John Doohan.
Pioneer sisters were as follows:
*Sister Baptist Kearns –Directress.
*Sister Carmel Claxton – Principal
*Sister Anunciata Hayes
*Sister Regina Keyes
The Physical Facilities and Development of LSHS
Classroom Buildings were constructed and renovated. Adequate Library amenities, computer laboratory and science Laboratory apparatus catered to students’ academic needs.
The building built sometime in 1962
The construction of the new school building was made possible through the initiative of the administrative staff and the library through the help of Charles and Helen Hansen.
On June 8, 2002 the latest school building and the Nano Nagle Child Care and Learning Center were inagurated. Mayor Carmina G. Bascon together with Sr. Lourdes Healy and Sr. Teresita Limsiaco cut the ceremonial ribbon.
The present building of LSHS.
Today, sufficient school facilities and equipment are used by the students. However the alumni are encouraged in donating more tools to enhance better learning.